Thursday, October 17, 2013

Update

I apologise in advance for the long post that is about to follow. Unfortunately I have not had any access to the internet for a while.

Dance Club
We have been a little low on memebers lately so last week,we decided to have a special 'Salsa Week' where we would learn a new dance genre that is completely different from our usual dance routines. We advertised this via flyers in the school registers and announcements as well.  It took us about 2 weeks to learn the routine which is being done to the song "Yo No Se Manana" (sp) by Enrique Iglesias. I actually found the routine quite challenging as it involved a lot of quick,fast and smooth movements. Most of which I am not capable of. Not to mention the hip movement involved :/
Either way it was definitely a fun experience.
Today we had the club and only had 2 members join us. It was quite lower than we expected but we went ahead with it anyways as we did not want to disappoint those that had attended.
We only managed to teach half of the dance because we ran out of time but it was fun! I actually enjoyed teaching and demonstrating the dance. It was agreed upon that the Salsa week will be pushed into the week when we return to school after the half-term. Other than that...I hope that more people will be able to join :)

International Day- Concert

Wow. Well the progress with international day has been quite drastic. I shall start with the simpler things i.e my performance. We had a lot of difficulty finding a song that I could sing to and David could beatbox to. We tried "Shake It Out" by Florence and the Machine then we tried "I believe" by Yolanda Adams and they were both ridiculously challenging to adapt to. Thennnn I chose "Breaking the Law" by Emeli Sande and we asked Ho Geon to play the guitar. So far, to the few that have heard us,we sound quite decent. I feel as though I need to strengthen my voice though as well as project it more because of the long note that comes along in the chorus. Hopefully this won;t be a problem when we perform tomorrow.
Now, the concert's organisation itself involved finding each and every contestant and asking what they were doing,with who and what they would need to perform. I was quite pleased with the job of assisting in organising the concert as I have my experience from the Talent Show in June which I believe was quite successful . This academic year however, I had to collaborate with Mr. Russell seeing as it is the schools's tradition to have the music teacher organise the concert on internaitonal day.This was difficult as Mr. Russell only comes to school On Mondays and Tuesdays. This was especially frustrating today when we had to organise the seating arrangments and the stage set-up without him being there even though he evidently had a few suggestions to be made. I shall not get into detail about this but we decided it would be safer if we just waited for him to come in tomorrow but in the meantime, we tried to fix a few things, such as the lack of space for the sound assistants and performers on the stage and dancers that will be dancing of the stage. We fixed this,sort of, by moving the stage forward and adding extra squares to make it bigger but anywhoooo...we also had to deal with the decorations. Mr. Russell asked me to make a few flyers to ask students to bring in the flags of their country. So I put some in the registers and on the notice boards asking for the flags to be in by today (Thursday) and only like..4 people gave them in so we all split up and made announcements in the class to ensure that more flags would be brought in tomorrow.
Alyona and Polina stayed behind after school and hung up the flags in the gym and in the hall and we are all very grateful to them for that :)
Other than that...all we can do now it twiddle our thumbs and wait for tomorrow.
Bye.

2 comments:

  1. Some very interesting comments here Yarubbi. I can imagine it was difficult, BUT it was excellent to hear that you wasn't "twiddling your thumbs". You took initiative - this is what CAS is all about. I'm sure a lot of the activities would not have happened had you and your team not done your work properly. I cannot see it, but you need to add some reflective comments. Great work on International Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was made before International Day,so naturally that is why I was not able to make any reflective comments. :) But thank you very much sir :)

    ReplyDelete