Sunday, November 24, 2013

Halloween/Bake sale

For the halloween dance, I helped out by carving pumpkins. I actually enjoyed it as I got to try out something that I'd never done before. I managed to carve about 2  big pumpkins and I had to use quite sharp knives so that was fun :D
It was quite difficult to find a way to cut through the pumpkin and it took me a while to come up with a method whereby I could successfully do so . It sort of aggravated me whenever I did not ave smooth edges to I took quite some type going over my carvings trying to get it to smooth out.

There was also a bake sale at lunch time on Halloween and I baked a cake without using cake mix for the first time. It was quite tiring mainly because I did not want to use an electronic mixer so I mixed everything by hand. I went for a simple vanilla cake as I did not want to try something more extravagant then mess it up.
The recipe was quite straightforward and simple:

Ingredients:
  • 1 and a half cups Milk
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3 cups of Flour
  • 1 teaspoon of yeast
  • 1 packet of vanilla sugar
  • 2-3 cups of white sugar
  • 450 g of margarine

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180° C 
  • Mix sugar with margarine until smooth and fluffy
  • Add eggs one by one and mix
  • Sieve flour into mixture with yeast and vanilla sugar
  • Add milk
  • Mix either by had or with electric mixer until batter is smooth.
  • Place into baking tin then into over for 30 minutes + or until a knife can be put into the cake and it comes out clean.

    The cake actually came out better than expected and it is definately something that I would consider doing again. I realise that there are two cakes in the beginning but unfortunately....I lost track of time when baking the second one and....basically it burnt. -_-

           

No comments:

Post a Comment